Tuesday, October 20, 2009

What's what....

Wow. I can't believe how long it's been since my last post. Guess that means life in Rome is good!

It's been a whirlwind couple of weeks with lots of activity. I kind of wish I could say that it's slowing down, but the truth is it's probably only going to get busier. Such is the life of one living the dream...hahaha.

So, here's what's been going on:
1) Bike ride on the Appian Way. Students and I went on a little adventure to the Appian Way 2 weeks ago. Sadly the website that claimed that this was a park with lots of open space and lots to see lied. Yes, it's the oldest highway. Yes, there are ruins to be seen. But! I didn't see lots of open space nor did I see lots of picnic spots nor is it a totally bike-friendly road. There are lots of cars on the road...driven by Italians! (Trust me when I tell you that I'd rather drive in downtown LA or NYC during rush hour before I'd ever drive here) Still, it was fun to get on a bike...even though it's been years!!! Ahhhh....

2) Students began to travel: 2 weeks ago our students ventured outside of our little nest here in Rome for parts beyond. Some went to Budapest, some went to Ischia, some went to find their family's castle...while a couple of other students went to Milan/Lake Como. Needless to say, it was quiet around here. It was great the first night, but by the second...well, I was missing some of the noise.

3) Firenze, part 2: Last weekend we took students to Florence. It was such fun to see the city thru their eyes and re-experience it. We of course went to the Accademia and saw Michelangelo's David, went to the Uffizi gallery, the Baptistry, and up to Piazzale Michelangelo for a great bird's eye view of the city. Lynda and I managed to track down La Spada for another amazing meal and we stayed at a great establishment. All in all, it was a good trip. I even got quite a bit of Christmas shopping down. Hooray!

4) One-on-ones: I have been meeting with students individually for the last couple of weeks one-on-one in an effort to get to know them on an individual basis. I love being able to sit down together and just hear about who God created them to be and listed to their stories. It's such an honor to participate in this journey with them and to bear witness to what God's doing in and thru them here. I look forward to continuing these after break as well.

Overall, it's been craziness. But good! I can praise God because we finally have a bank account. Of course I am also praying for His help and strength as I go to withdraw money tomorrow for the first time in a language I don't speak. Please let there be someone who speaks English! After the bank, I am meeting with a student and then I am facing down Ikea again, hopefully sans any emotional turmoil.

The next several weeks will go by in a haze as they'll be even busier. Here's what's coming up so that you can prepare for what lies ahead:
--Justine visits ONE WEEK from today for 5 days
--Jeff and Nancy arrive a week from Thursday for a week
--I go to London for the weekend the first weekend of November
--I take students to Cinque Terre the second weekend of November
--I take students to Venice (!!!!!!!!) the third weekend of November
--Family arrives the last week of November for Thanksgiving
--Students leave Dec. 10
--I leave Dec 15.

WHEW! Tired yet? Well, hold on because the next couple of weeks...or month really...look like it's going to be g0-go-go...after all, there's no rest for the weary!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment