Saturday, October 10, 2009

Ikea

I went to Ikea today with Lynda to help her pick out some stuff for her new apartment. Normally, I love Ikea and all of their fun wares. Today, though, was a different story.

Who would have thought that Ikea would conjure up feelings of homesickness? Who would have thought that while I stood in the midst of kitchenwares that I would want to cry? Everywhere I turned I saw something that had once occupied my house in AZ...my coffee table, my side table, TV stand, planter, decorative items....all reminders of home and what I've left behind. I miss my belongings because they were mine and they made up my home, but I think that what I miss most about them is that they occupied space where I spent time with friends and family. And right now I don't have that...I don't have any friends here and my family is an ocean and many states away from me. I know that eventually I will make new friends (in fact, I had coffee at some girls' home on Thursday night. It was great!) and my family will come to visit, but I think for now...it's best if I just avoid Ikea all together.

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. It's the randomest things that make me homesick. I was listening to some music yesterday and for some reason it really reminded me of being at home with my family. I should probably stay away from Ikea, too...

    Praying for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just kind of got caught up on your amazing opportunity--calling--blessing --- adventure. WOW. So proud to know you and have a cheap seat view of your comings and goings....

    Cindy Rabenstine--

    ReplyDelete