Monday, February 15, 2010

Snow!!! (and Pompeii)


We're into week 3 here in Rome and things have been hopping.

We've been settling into routines and students have been out and about exploring Rome. Thus far it's been a good semester and I've enjoyed getting to know the students. They seem to be a fun bunch and they keep me on my toes.

Last Friday we went to Pompeii. The morning was frigid and rain was falling as we made our way to the train station. As we were walking from the bus into the station one of the students commented: "This rain actually looks like snow." I laughed because typically Rome only sees snow every 10 years, but hasn't seen any in 24 years. I told her that it wasn't snow more likely just really big rain drops. Imagine my surprise...no, shock, when we were outside waiting for the train and large flakes of white stuff began to fall from the sky above. Snow. It was wild! In no way was I prepared to deal with snow or snow-producing temperatures. I was worried.

As the train sped thru the Italian countryside I marveled at the snow-covered terrain. It really was beautiful. I was quite relieved, though, that the more south we went the less snow appeared. Thankfully, Napoli and Pompeii were snow free!

We spent the day amid the ancient ruins of Pompeii and again I was struck by the horror that it must have been. These were real people...with real lives. What must they have felt as they heard and saw the great volcano erupt? There must have been suck terror, hopelessness.

All in all, it was a good day. Long, but good. Of course, I came home with more than just good pictures and memories...I came down with a cold that kept me in bed for two days!






post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment