Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Putting myself out there...

So, I've come to realize that one of the things lacking for me here in Rome is a social life. Friends. People who are over 22 and have graduated from college. I'm used to having lots of friends to do things with, to talk to, and just to know are there. I knew it would take some time to meet people here, but I think I underestimated my own need for friendship. I guess I also thought that I would find a lot of support from people at home that would tide me over until I met people, but thus far that's been a lot more scarce than I thought it would be. So, I'm putting myself out there!

Last week I had a girl over whom I'd socialized with before to hang out. Lynda joined us for the evening and we had such a good time. It was great just to be able to laugh and share and be women. I'd almost forgotten what that feels like! I've also decided to start checking out expat groups as a way to meet people. This freaks me out a bit. Most people who know me think that I am fairly outgoing. While I am outgoing to a certain extent, I'm also very shy and situations like going to a meeting where I don't know anyone scares me. But. I have to do this. I need an outlet. I need people. This is the way I was created. I've been praying for a friend and thus far God is answering my prayers in the form of the new friend who came over last week, but I'm continuing to pray because it's always nice to have a group of people  you can be with.

For those who live abroad or who have ever lived abroad, any advice?
post signature

1 comment:

  1. Kris
    Thanks for sharing with us so vulnerably - and I ask in Jesus name Father for community for my sister too! I am grateful for the friend you have and you are so worth being friends with - you are soo funny, lovely and amazing! Here is to hearing more about what happens!

    ReplyDelete