Friday, May 29, 2009

A step closer

I left Arizona yesterday. I will now spend the next two and a half months in Beaver Falls, PA in preparation for Rome. I do not know how this has all happened so quickly.

I am living in an on-campus apartment with limited amenities. As of today, I do not have internet. (Insert a small gasp and head shake here) I don't have a TV or, and worst of all in my limited opinion, a coffee maker. (I will remedy that last one or I won't survive!) I am comfortable and excited so what else do I need? I was so touched when I got in last night and found that friends I know from AZ who live here, Taylor and Joanna, left me some snacks, made up my bed, and added a couple of lovely touches with candles, etc. and that my boss and his wife graciously purchased kitchen essentials and food for me. It made the transition so much easier.

I am sitting in the college coffee shop now typing away and ran into one of the students who will be with me in Rome. He was so excited and his enthusiasm made me that much more excited to introduce young people to Italy. What a privilege and blessing! I have been in contact with a couple of students thru email and Facebook and I think that it's going to be an amazing semester. They're all not only very excited about being in Rome, but also about forming authentic community there. WOW!

There were some tears yesterday as I said goodbye to my mom at the airport and some days before, but that's to be expected. I cannot describe the peace that I have about this venture and what God is doing in me. I know this is of the Lord and I, therefore, have complete assurance that where I go He goes as well. And if that's the case....what is there to worry about?

Pray for me, though, as I know that there will be days/nights of homesickness and loneliness. Pray also as I have my first official day of work on Monday. I haven't been to work in a month and I am sure that it's going to be a shock to the system!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. Hey!!!!! I miss you tons. What is the best way to get in touch with you? I want so badly to be able to communicate when we can... what about cell phone - will you have one of those until you leave?
    Lees

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kris
    I am so excited to read your post - thanks for sharing and the update. I miss you sister, but feel encouraged by your words! Hope things are going well - did you go to that party. Mak and I are off to the roller derby in LA tonight! Hugs!!! xo Linds

    ReplyDelete